06 Oct Prime Day ’22: Sales boost 286% (immediate) & 32% (baseline)
Sales VS. AVERAGE
salES vs. Prime Day 2021
in baseline sales (AUGUST)
Historically, Prime Day is the biggest sales day of the year up there with Cyber Monday. And this year was no different as it marked the biggest Prime Day event for Amazon’s selling partners, most of whom are small and medium-sized businesses.
Customers spent over $3 billion on more than 100 million small business items. In addition, the first 4 hours of the Prime Day event marked the biggest day for U.S. online spending of the year, with $6 billion across all e-commerce sites, surpassing the $5.1 billion in sales from Thanksgiving ’22, which of course occurs during the Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale weekend. AOV was up 15.2% to $53.58 from $446.50 last year. Still not wowed? How about this: Prime members in the U.S. purchased a whopping 60,000+ items per minute during the event!
With years of experience launching Prime Day event campaigns, we knew we had to lean into what has worked, while also stepping it up to stay ahead of the competition. We knew that for most of our brands, we couldn’t just settle for on-Amazon tactics — and definitely not just the traditional ones — rather, we must bring into the mix aggressive and unique drivers such as ranking campaigns in the month leading up, PR features, Google ads, and more!
SHORT-TERM | IMMEDIATE IMPACT
- Main Event vs. Average
- Main Event vs. Prime Day 2021
LONG-TERM | BASELINE IMPACT
- Prior to Event (June) vs. After Event (August):
TACTICS + RESULTS
This is what consumers think of when they think of Prime Day and when about 30% of the U.S. population makes a purchase. Deep discounts are expected, so to be competitive, we must cater to consumer expectations as much as possible.
Duration: 2 days Recommended Discount: 25-40% (the average across VENDO brands was 30%)
The idea behind this stage is it will drive more traffic and sales thus greasing up the algorithm right before the main event. In addition, because Amazon begins promoting the event in the weeks leading up, traffic, intention to buy, and competitiveness will increase..
Recommended Duration: 7-14 days
Recommended Discount: 10-20%
The idea behind this stage is it will drive more traffic and sales thus maximizing the likeliness that the wins we saw during the pre, and main event have been solidified in the algorithm. In other words, maximizing the likeliness that we will have a higher baseline for both sales and organic search ranking.
Duration: up to 7 days Recommended Discount: 10-20%
- % Of Total Sales: 37% (+3%)
- TACOS: 8% (-58%)
- ACOS: 22% (-41%)
- CVR: 40% (+100%)
- Budget recommendations: to prepare for the massive influx of traffic so that your ad budgets aren’t exhausted each day, we recommend a pre-approved increase in Amazon ad budget of 50% for the pre-event, 150% for the main event, and 75% for the post event.
PAGE 1 RANKING CAMPAIGNS
- Context: understanding there would be a large influx of traffic, we developed a suite of on- and off-Amazon measures to boost organic search term ranking for high-value keywords in order to maximize visibility, traffic, and sales.
– Increased sales by +2,321% over daily avg.
– Achieved #1 ranking during peak Prime Day period for key search terms with >100k/mo. combined searches
– Drove a Top 500 overall sales rank on Amazon during peak Prime Day period
SUPPORT SMALL BUSINESS FEATURES
- Context: Amazon rolled out a “Small Business” tag that attached itself to the product in the search results as well as the product page. Furthermore, Amazon ran a Support Small Businesses to Win Big Sweepstakes driving even more attention
- Results: helped drive a 731% lift vs. June average and 153% lift over Prime Day ’21
Amazon Live Prime Day streams had more than 100 million views. Thousands of creators streamed throughout Prime Day 2022. Since your own Amazon Live can be a relatively heavy lift, we work with influencers who have their own shows. To see how Amazon Live can drive additional traffic and revenue during sales events, see our Mother’s Day and Lightning Deal case studies.
The digital marketing world is our oyster, and we do not stop at the gates of the Amazon ecosystem. We managed numerous external marketing campaigns to drive additional awareness, traffic, and sales. For any of these efforts, we used an Amazon Attribution link in order to track clicks, DPVs, ATCs, units sold and revenue. In addition, to earn the Brand Referral Bonus from Amazon, which is typically 10%, effectively making your referral fee 5%. Other non-TOS links enable you to also target keywords to drive organic ranking.
- Paid Search & Social
– Achieved 4.20x ROAS by leveraging Amazon Attribution program to drive record-breaking sales for a personal care brand in conjunction with on-Amazon promotions.
– Claimed 10% brand referral bonus on over 300 purchases by driving Google traffic to Amazon detail pages and brand storefront with tracking links.
- Organic Media
- Influencer + Affiliate Marketing
- Email + SMS
Some of the best-selling categories in the U.S. this Prime Day were Consumer Electronics, Household Essentials, and Home. For VENDO brands, we saw the following for our top 3 categories:
- Health & Household
– #1 Performer
– NTB Customers: +6% from 56% to 63%
- Grocery: 12% increase
– #2 Performer
– NTB Customers: +12% from 49% to 61%
- Beauty & Personal Care:
– #3 Performer